VIDEO: The Best Highlights of a Viking Great Lakes Expedition Cruise
Zodiaks, kayaks and submarines, oh my! Expedition ships are opening up a whole new way of cruising and experiencing the world – even parts of the world you may think you already know!
We sailed on board a Viking expedition cruise of the Great Lakes. Both of Viking’s two expedition ships, the Viking Polaris and the Viking Octantis, were designed specifically to sail through the navigational channels of what some call North America’s “Inland Seas.” So they can spend summers showing travelers a new side of what may be familiar marine territory, before cruising to Antarctica for the winter.
WATCH THE VIDEO ABOVE to see the highlights of a Viking Great Lakes Expedition Cruise
It’s a completely different approach to cruising. You have all the comforts of your brand new, state-of-the-art ship, complete with sleek, modern, Scandinavian design, multiple restaurants, bars and lounges, pools, a spa, and more
But you also have a host of expedition ‘toys:’ zodiaks, kayaks, submarines and ‘special operations boats’ let you disembark the ship and explore coastlines and waters – even where there are no docks for the ship.
And an expedition team of accomplished scientists, biologists, geologists, historians and more, sharing their expertise with guests to provide context to the stunning beauty of these famous shorelines.
- See the spectacular Viking Octantis light up the seascapes in one of the freshwater playgrounds of the world;
- Discover my favorite scenic viewpoint from on board: the indoor spa pool with a view!
- Visit Mackinac Island, famous for its horse-drawn carriages and historic, cotton-candy coloured resort atmosphere.
- Kayak through a famous rock formation;
- Sail through the Soo Locks, an engineering marvel;
- Dive beneath the waves on a 6-person submarine; and
- Discover indigenous and fur trading history on shore.
A Viking Great Lakes expedition cruise proves that some of the best cruise experiences... are close to home.
START YOUR EXPEDITION CRUISE TO THE GREAT LAKES!
Video and story: Lynn Elmhirst, cruise/ travel journalist and expert.
All rights reserved. You are welcome to share this material from this page, but it may not be copied, re-published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.